Healthy Caesar salad dressing? Yes, it’s possible… and delicious too.
One of my ultimate favorite salads in the entire world is probably the Caesar salad. No doubt my favorite part of it is the dressing, if made properly.
The downfall? MAYO. The original recipe calls for a bunch of mayonnaise and well let’s be honest that’s not the healthiest way to go when you’re trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
I tried recreating this dressing dozens of times WITHOUT mayo and I realized that it was just not what I was looking for and definitely didn’t remind me of a Caesar dressing. After a bunch of trial-and-errors I finally came up with the perfect recipe… which does call for mayo, but only a small amount for flavor.
What you need:
- 2 packs of pre-washed kale
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp mayo of choice I use organic mayo
- 2 tsp Greek yoghurt
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 tbsp crushed capers
- A dash of Tabasco
- A dash of Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1tsp Dijon mustard
What to do:
- Drizzle a little olive oil and some lemon (enough to cover most of the top) and massage your kale with some plastic glove or clean hands for about 2-3 minutes. Doesn’t take long just grab a handful and kind of massage the kale until nice and tender. You will see the kale turn brighter green and reduce in size.
- Add all Caesar ingredients into a salad dressing mixer or a sealable bowl.
- Shake rigorously until everything is well incorporated.
- Toss salad with dressing and add Parmesan cheese.
- Make sure everything is coated with dressing and cheese.
You can add any protein like chicken and salmon. Or have it as a side with some rice and chicken.