I like to experiment a lot in the kitchen and come up with recipes up as I go. It usually depends on what I have in the kitchen.
If it turns out to be good it just adds on to my recipe book for future reference. In essence, my recipes come from experimenting a lot.
In this case, I didn’t have that many options to work with since we haven’t been grocery shopping. So from what I found in my kitchen, I came up with this delicious Cajun chicken recipe. I noticed I had some leftover quinoa we made a day before and a bunch of mushrooms and red bell peppers. I also like my food pretty spicy so I added a serrano pepper (these are fairly spicier than a regular jalapeño).
Serving size 2-3
What you need:
For the veggie quinoa:
- 3 cups cooked/leftover tricolor quinoa
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 serrano pepper (optional for heat)
- 5 Tbsp of The new primal marinade
- 1 cup mushrooms
For the cajun chicken:
- 3 chicken breasts.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil.
- Cajun spices:
- 6 tablespoons paprika.
- 1/4 cup kosher salt.
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper.
- 2 tablespoons ground white pepper.
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder.
- 2 tablespoons onion powder.
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme.
- 1 tablespoon cayenne.
What to do:
- Marinate chopped vegetables with the “New Primal Marinade” for 15-20 minutes.
- In a Ziploc bag add oil and chicken breasts with all the cajun spices to marinate for the same 15-20 minutes.
- Heat up a little oil in a pan and add vegetables to saute. Once they’re soft and to your preferred doneness, add cooked quinoa and cook until warm. Set aside.
- In a heated cast iron pan, add the chicken and cook through.
- In a bowl, add quinoa and vegetable mix and then add your chicken on top.
- DONE – ENJOY!
It’s a very easy recipe that can be done quickly and you will still feel like you’re having a delicious meal. Also, you can skip the marinating steps if you’re in a rush, it will still be as tasty.
If you do not have “The New Primal’s” marinade, you can make your own marinade with:
- 5 tbsp coconut aminos (or soy sauce)
- agave nectar 1tsp
- 3 tsp pineapple juice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 tsp onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ginger